- GENERIC HTTP 500 "INTERNAL SERVER ERROR"
If you are using Internet Explorer, you need to turn on detailed error
messages. Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> uncheck 'friendly
error messages'. This will provide a more detailed error message.
- When using an Access database, I get error messages about read-only queries
This is because the website doesn't have write access to the database. Refer to our installation instructions for more details. You may need to contact your web host or system administrator.
- I just installed the forum, but I cannot view any categories or forums without getting an error message
Make sure you accessed the /admin/bbs-setup.asp page in the administrative menus, and saved the new settings.
- Sometimes when replying to large threads, the system takes a long time to process
This is almost always because you have a large number of users receiving email notifications. If you can change your email configuration to CDOSYS with the "SendUsingPickup" directive, this will allow the script to process email notifications almost instantly. Otherwise, see if you can use a faster email server. You may need to contact your web host about this.
- File uploads give me the error "Permission denied"
Ensure that you have granted read+write access to the following folders:
- Pages freeze, won't come up. No apparent error message.
If you choose View->Source in your browser, sometimes you can see the
Make sure you're not running Norton Antivirus on the server.
If you are, try disabling "script blocking"
- "General error Unable to open registry key 'Temporary
(volatile) Jet DSN..." when using an Access Database
This usually means that the path to your database is incorrect. Set
bEmergencyMode = 1 in your constants.asp and rerun /admin/forum-setup.asp.
After creating a new constants.asp, check the last line and double check
that the full path is specified correctly.
You can also try installing the latest Jet database
drivers (on the server):
- I just created a new category, why won't it show up?
A category won't be displayed on the main page (category-view.asp)
until there is a forum in the category.
- After performing an upgrade or fresh installation, I keep getting errors like
"variable bBBSUseTextLinks is undefined" or I get errors about 'missing
Make sure you run your forum-setup script and generate a new
constants.asp file. Also, don't forget to run the database upgrade
script. Both of these pages are found in the administrative section
- HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP error
Internet Information Services
Technical Information (for support personnel)
Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A0046)
/forum/includes/include.asp, line 993
Any errors at approximately that line number mean that there is a
problem with the e-mail component you selected in forum-setup. If
you have chosen CDONTS as your component, make sure the IUSR account has
read/write access to the mailroot folder. Alternatively, try
installing JMAIL4 or one of the
other e-mail components on the server and trying one of those instead.